Monday, April 27, 2009

Little Reminders

I had a rough day today. There wasn't much in particular that made it a hard day. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed (after having a really weird, disturbing and "off" dream...maybe I'll blog about it later). The day just seemed to wipe me out from there. Avery woke up a little earlier than usual, and as soon as Cal got here, they started arguing. I don't know if this can be blamed on the pregnancy, or just grumpiness, but it was just a yucky day. I mean, we did some cool stuff, so it should have been a good day (lunch out, gymnastics class, Alex's spring program), but it was rainy and dreary, and I was just crabby. Then...when we got home, Avery was just demanding. She yelled about "needing a drink and a snack", and when I told her to practice her patience, she said "no...I will not practice!". I was tired, and I needed a break from kids (where no relief was in sight until Chris got home). I started feeling annoyed with Avery, which is a feeling that I rarely have. I finally told her that she was not being nice to mommy, and mommy was NOT going to get her a drink or a snack until Avery started being nicer. She turned her behavior around and was sweet as Chris took her off to bed. I, on the other hand am still grumpy and teary eyed (for no reason). I need to go to bed and start over tomorrow.

Before I go to bed, I feel the need to refocus. I need to take a second to write down the things that I love about Avery. I need to remind myself that the things that annoyed me today are also the things that usually make me proud to be her mommy. She has an opinion, and stands up for herself, and will not be ignored. Here's a list of her unique opinions the reasons why I need to suck up my issues and foster her opinions more, instead of squashing them.

She wants me to blow on her clothes, to warm them up a little before I put them on her. She wants to buckle herself in her carseat, and tighten it. She wants to go potty by herself, and tell me "I went without you." She does not want to hold my hand in a parking lot, nor does she want to be carried, but will grab on tight as soon as she sees a car. She wants me to warm up her blanket "just to warm it up a little" in the dryer. She wants one, specific story before bedtime and no other story will do...lately it's been a book of nursery rhymes. She wants to use Mommy's lips (lip gloss). She wants her crocs. She does not want to share her balloon with Cal, nor does she particularly want him to hold the bubbles or choose a movie. She does not want anyone else to fetch something for her. She wants to set the table herself. She tells you "one second" if she's not ready yet. She does not want to wear socks. She does not want help getting in the tub. She is "fimming;" she does not want to get out of the tub. She does not want to go to take a nap because the "sun is still awake". She "can do it myself." She "did it!"

She is a spitfire, and because of all of these things, and more...I love her spunk. I love her independence. I love her opinions. I love her stubbornness. I love her sassiness. I love her.

4 comments:

boxcatav said...

Here's to a better day!
The rain is certainly a factor. Soon we'll have green grass!

tania said...

Hopefully the dawn of a new day will make you laugh over the fact that she told you, "No! I will not practice!" :-)

amanda said...

Michele, you are such a great mother. I'm so proud of this person you've become... or I suppose I should put it - the person you've always been and the mother I knew you would be. You are inspirational. My kids totally wipe me out. Jack especially tests my patience about every ten minutes throughout the day. And there have been so many times I've been annoyed with him and then felt like a bad mom for feeling that way. So don't be down on yourself for feeling that way. I think it's great that you can walk away from that feeling and turn it into a positive feeling.

Willo said...

She sure is her mommy's daughter huh? Good for you for being able to take a moment to get positive. You've taught me a new lesson.